COMING UP IN 2018
- FEB 21-25: PERTH FESTIVAL WRITERS WEEK events – chairing sessions with Tess Woods, Robert Dessaix and Rachael Johns
- MARCH 22: In-conversation with Lily Malone and Louise Allan at Dymocks Busselton
- APRIL 5: Between The Lines Literature Festival, Busselton
Do you struggle with the monster of Self Doubt? My two-hour DEALING WITH SELF-DOUBT course will help you with inspiring content and practical tools to help you find the courage you need to step out into the new season in your creative/work-life balance.
My two-hour SPEAKWRITE workshop explores the roles and purpose of good dialogue, its relationship to character, and offers practical tips for writing dialogue with confidence. Participants will be guided through dialogue-writing and reading exercises, and will leave with an understanding of how good dialogue sounds, and how it will enhance their characters and stories. Contact me here for more information.
I’m available to speak at sessions and festivals for writers and readers, as well as at schools for Children’s Book Week and Literature Days. Sessions range from storytelling to workshops about writing practices, character development, and life as a writer. They are tailored to individual requirements and have a relaxed, informal and encouraging feel.
I am also available for combined author/artist presentations with illustrator Veronica Rooke, who worked with me on My Silly Mum and is illustrating my upcoming children’s book, Fergus the Farting Dragon.
My rates are based on those recommended by the Australian Society of Authors. I’m happy to travel around Western Australia and interstate, but travel expenses to country areas and other states would need to be covered.
The ASA sets recommended minimum rates for writers and illustrators working in the Australian market, which recognise the time and effort that go into writing, book illustration and public appearances. Members are encouraged to negotiate fees that are higher than the minimum. These rates were revised in 2018.
Groups of over 120 or with mixed ages may incur an additional charge. Sessions run for 45-60 mins. Longer workshops may be negotiated.
- Whole school day (max. 3 sessions) $650-800
- Half school day (max. 2 sessions) $450
- Per hour/session (max. 1 session) $200
- Weekly school rate (max. 5 days – average 3 sessions per day) $3000 (Note: This discounted rate applies only if the booking is for one school, for a one-week block.)
Public appearance rates
These rates apply for literary festivals, residencies, writers centres, tertiary institutions, and other public appearances except for schools.
- Panel member $200
- Panel chair $200 – $250 (more if extended preparation involved)
- Whole day (max. 6 hours) $880
- Half day (max. 3 hours) $550
- Per session (max. 1 hour) $350
- Keynotes $1000 (This does not include online or print publication – which must be negotiated separately).
- Weekly rate (max. 5 days – average 6 hours per day) $3600
In 2012 I founded the Stories on Stage program at Koorliny Arts Centre. At many of these events I interview the authors on stage. I am also happy to discuss similar events.
To book me, or make enquiries, click here.